NHRC notice to the Government of Uttar Pradesh over the reported death of a patient in Bijnor due to wont of oxygen in an ambulance (13.10.2016)
New Delhi, 13th October, 2016
The National Human Rights Commission has taken suo motu cognizance of a media report that a patient of Asthma died as the oxygen cylinder was empty in the Ambulance in Chandpur area of Bijnor, Uttar Pradesh. Reportedly, the relatives of the patient raised their protest and the Chief Medical Officer has promised a probe in the matter. Taking a serious view of the alleged medical negligence, the Commission has issued a notice to Government of Uttar Pradesh through its Secretary, Department of Medical Health & Family Welfare, calling for a report within four weeks.
The Commission has observed that it is shocked to peruse the painful news report that a human life could not be saved even after timely arrival of the ambulance because the oxygen cylinder, which is the most crucial and important life saving apparatus, was not functional. This is a case of sheer negligence on the part of the concerned officers amounting to violation of right to life of the patient.
According to the media report, carried on the 10th October, 2016, Mohd Aslam, aged 55 years and a resident of Chandpur area of Bijnor, Uttar Pradesh suffered a severe attack of Asthma. His family members called at 108 for an ambulance. The ambulance came and the patient was shifted inside but en route hospital, the oxygen cylinder installed in the ambulance was found empty. The patient died in the ambulance.