Constitution of a Core Group to serve as a monitoring mechanism for consultation with NGOs in the Commission
Under Section 12(1) of the Protection of Human Rights Act 1993, the Commission is to encourage the efforts of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and institutions engaged in the field of Human Rights. Accordingly, with a view to utilizing the knowledge, experience and expertise of credible NGOs working in the field of human rights, it has been decided by the Commission to have consultations with the NGOs on a regional basis and, thereafter, work in partnership with selected NGOs having a good track record to jointly take up issues concerning human rights and spread of awareness and human rights literacy amongst the people in different parts of the country.
To review the progress of these consultations and to serve as a monitoring mechanism, the Commission has constituted a Core Group under the Chairmanship of Shri Chaman Lal, Special Rapporteur, NHRC with the following Members:-
1. Smt. Aruna Roy, Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan,
2. Shri Henri Tiphagne, People’s Watch, Tamil Nadu,
3. Shri Harsh Mander, Action Aid India,
4. Shri Javed Abidi, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People,
5. Shri Ravi Nair, South Asian Human Rights Documentation Centre,
6. Dr. Y.P. Chhibbar, People’s Union for Civil Liberties,
7. Ms. Meera Shiva, Voluntary Association of India,
8. Shri Ashok Rawat, Helpage India,
9. Ms. Federica Donati, UNICEF.
The terms of reference of the Core Group shall be the following:-
· To identify NGOs engaged in the field of Human Rights with good track record, for the purpose of consultation and interaction on a regular basis on issues concerning human rights and to build up a database of NGOs.
· To identify the broad areas of cooperation between the NHRC and the selected NGOs from different regions.
· To identify important human rights issues which could be jointly taken up with the NGOs after considering the suggestions/proposals received from them.
· To consider any other issues relevant to the consultation with the NGOs.
The Core Group may meet at such intervals as are deemed to be necessary by the group. It will submit its reports and recommendations from time to time to the Secretary General.
The Commission has also designated Smt. S. Jalaja, Joint Secretary of the Commission as the Nodal Officer for coordinating with the NGOs. Her Office address, e-mail, telephone number and fax number are as under:
National Human Rights Commission, Room No. 118, Sardar Patel Bhavan, Sansad Marg, New Delhi – 110 001. Tel. No. 011-3346243, Fax 3340016, e-mail address: email@example.com
The NGOs may meet the nodal officer in the afternoon of the first Monday of every month.