FOUNDER AND DIRECTOR
Guria India began in 1988 when Ajeet Singh, adopted three children from the red light area.
Ajeet began his activism during college days and got deeply influenced by social justice questions as guaranteed by our Constitution. Subsequently, this led him to register “Guria” to protect women and children from the flesh trade and human trafficking. His recent work includes formulation of much talked legislation on human trafficking led by Inter-ministerial committee and NHRC SOP for combating trafficking where as a member of the Committees, he played an important role in designing the policy from the perspective of sex trafficking.
He has been invited to several judiciary and parliament led processes to assist the Government – to name a few: Allahabad High Court Juvenile Justice Committee, Parliament standing committee on the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Amendment Bill in 2006 and NCW enquiry committeess for probing girls being trafficked. He has also been instrumental in sensitising Judiciary, NGOs, advocates, police & Anti Human Trafficking Units on human trafficking through the National Legal Services Authority of India, National Institute of Public Cooperation & Child Development and UNICEF.
He did his schooling from Col. Brown School & La Martiniere college and Graduation from Hans Raj College, University of Delhi
Present Advisory roles in Policy Matters as member
• Central Nodal Agency to combat trafficking, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Govt. of India.
• Core Group on Human Trafficking at National Human Rights Commission of India
• Uttar Pradesh Government State Advisory Board for effective implementation, evaluation, advice on the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000 and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012
• Committee formed as per section 16(2) of Juvenile Justice (Care & Protection of Children) Act 2015, by Government of Uttar pradesh
Engagement with Academia and the International Community:
• Delivered many talks at national and international institutions including Cambridge University, University of London (SOAS), Princeton Universtiy & served as Resource consultant for the Liberal International and the UNODC (UN GIFT).
• Thompson Reuters Foundation selected Ajeet Singh as a speaker at the Trust Conference in 2017
• The Freedom Fund selected Ajeet Singh as their Keynote speaker at the Freedom Fund launch event in New York.
• Invited to address the world cricketers at Lords Cricket Ground in London by the British Asian Trust, Royal Founding Patron, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, during the course of Cricket World Cup 2019
• Speaker at the Parliamentarians’ International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals
• US TIP report 2019 mentions the shelter home case - fought & won by Guria India
Contribution and Innovation
• Evolved innovative end-to-end model strategy to create the first sustainable child prostitution free red light area at Varanasi which involves rescue, witness protection, brothel seizures, convictions, PILs, opposing bails & fake custodies of traffickers & victims respectively and much more
• Successfully adopted and living, for over 20 years, in a Bedia village (traditional family based prostitution) as a part of the community
Awards & Recognitions
• Guria was presented with the Nani A. Palkhivala Civil Liberties Award 2018
• Nari Shakti Award was awarded to Guria by the President of India in 2016.
• Life OK Chanel of Star Network awarded Ajeet with their Lifetime Achievement award.
• Rani Laxmi Bai Award was presented to Guria by the Chief Minister of UP in 2016.
• The Week Magazine named Ajeet Singh ‘Man of the Year’.
• CNN-IBN awarded Ajeet Singh the ‘Real Heroes Award'.
• Felicitated by Zee TV Award at the Fempowerment Ceremony 2016
• KBC Special Karamveer episode hosted by Amitabh Bachchan celebrated Ajeet Singh as “The Unsung Hero” in 2018
• Exposure visits/Interns from National Defence College, US Congress & State Department, Fulbright program, Smith College, Princeton University, Paris School of Business, Heilbronn University of applied Sciences, Wisconsin University, International Programs like Alliance for Global education, Leap Now, Where there be dragon, Carpedium etc.